When towing a car, it’s important to be aware of the potential dangers and take the necessary precautions to avoid them. Continue below to review some of the most vital Do’s and Don’t of car towing, plus where to turn if you require professional tow truck assistance or long distance towing service in Central Indiana.
Car Towing: What You Should and Should Not Do
If you’re towing a car, there are some things you should and shouldn’t do. Here are the most important Do’s and Don’ts to remember when towing a car.
1. DO make sure your appointed tow vehicle is up to the task. If it’s not, you could end up damaging both vehicles.
2. DON’T exceed the towing capacity of either vehicle. You could end up causing serious damage to both cars.
3. DO use a tow strap or chain to connect the two cars together. This will help distribute the weight evenly and reduce the risk of damage to either car.
4. DON’T forget to apply the parking brake on both cars before disconnecting them from each other. This will help keep them in place while you’re disconnecting them.
5. DO ensure that the towing vehicle is firmly attached to the car being towed before you start to drive. This will help to avoid any nasty surprises!
6. DON’T attempt to tow a car without proper towing equipment and instruction. Improper towing could lead to personal injury or damage to both vehicles.
7. DO check to make sure that the towing vehicle’s brakes, steering, and lights are working properly before towing a vehicle.
8. DON’T forget to double-check the tow bar and straps to make sure they’re secure before you start to drive.
9. DO keep an eye out for road hazards and other drivers to make sure that you’re towing safely.
10. DON’T forget to read the owner’s manual of your tow vehicle to make sure you understand any specific towing instructions.
Practice Safe Towing and Car Care
Following these dos and don’ts will help to ensure that you tow your car safely and securely, and can avoid any potential damages to either vehicle. You may need to consider long distance towing service for extended trips if you do not have much experience with towing a vehicle.
Do you think a professional tow truck operator might be the better option for your towing needs? Contact Zore’s Towing at 317-247-8484 for 24 hour tow truck and roadside assistance services you can afford. We serve all of Central Indiana, including Lebanon, Greenwood, and Avon areas.
The Best Way to Transport or Tow a Custom Car
Trailer Towing Tips You Need to Know Before You Hit the Road
Will My Car Insurance Pay For Towing Fees?